Friday, August 21, 2026EN
Politics

Kennedy Center Board Votes to Add Trump's Name to Building Twice

A court filing reveals the board also approved a two-year, $285 million closure as a lawmaker sues to block both moves.

Kennedy Center Board Votes to Add Trump's Name to Building Twice
Photo: Sdkb · CC BY-SA 4.0

An overnight court filing has revealed new details about a set of controversial votes taken last week by the Kennedy Center's board, including a plan that could see President Donald Trump's name added to the building's facade in two separate places.

The board, whose members were largely appointed by Trump, voted 23-3 to close the performing arts center for two years to carry out a roughly $285 million renovation, much of it funded by $256.7 million Congress set aside for repairs last year. An alternative plan for a series of partial closures over four years would have cost about $560 million, according to the filing.

Kennedy Center Executive Director Matt Floca said in a sworn declaration that a consultant warned the longer partial-closure option would cost more, raise "substantial safety concerns" and risk "reputational damage" from patrons attending events near an active construction site.

Under the two-year plan, programming and the JFK memorial would move to the adjacent REACH facility, the Kennedy Center Honors and Mark Twain Prize would relocate offsite, and the National Symphony Orchestra would perform elsewhere.

The filing also confirmed the board voted to restore Trump's name to the building after a judge had previously ordered it removed. The resolution described Trump as the center's financial savior and said once an associated fund reaches $100 million, an additional inscription would be added crediting him with the center's restoration.

The lawsuit was brought by Rep. Joyce Beatty, D-Ohio, whose lawyers called the move to restore Trump's name a "breathtaking act of defiance" of the earlier court order. ABC News has learned two of the three "no" votes on the closure plan came from ex-officio members Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., and Rep. Rick Larsen, D-Wash.

Beatty's lawyers also challenged the tarp and scaffolding covering part of the facade since Trump's name was removed in June, arguing the explanation for keeping it up "makes no sense" and may be intended to delay removal or even suggest damage occurred. Kennedy Center management said the coverings protect the marble facade amid ongoing repairs.

Beatty's team is asking Judge Christopher Cooper to block the closure plan and prevent Trump's name from being restored before September 8, the date by which Kennedy Center management has said it will wait to act.

This article was produced with the assistance of artificial intelligence (AI), in accordance with our editorial policy.

Kennedy CenterDonald TrumpJoyce BeattylawsuitWashington D.C.
Kennedy Center Board Votes to Add Trump's Name to Building Twice | American Press Daily