Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Positive Cocaine Test
The former Wimbledon finalist says he 'made a huge mistake' after testing positive for the party drug at a grass-court event in Spain.

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from tennis after testing positive for cocaine, the Australian revealed Wednesday, calling the doping case a "wake up call" after feeling "helpless and alone" amid a string of career-derailing injuries.
The 31-year-old, whose disciplinary record has long been checkered, tested positive in June for the drug during a lower-tier grass-court event in Mallorca, Spain. He has played just 10 singles matches on the ATP tour since 2022 — his peak season, when he reached the Wimbledon final before losing to Novak Djokovic — winning only two.
"I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine," Kyrgios wrote on Instagram. "I made a huge mistake and take full responsibility for it."
Kyrgios is now ranked 919th in the world. He faces a possible ban of up to four years, though a lighter sanction is expected since cocaine draws reduced penalties when used outside competition. In a comparable 2017 case, British player Dan Evans served a one-year ban after testing positive for cocaine at the Barcelona Open.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency, which will prosecute the case, said Kyrgios's sample was taken June 22 and the positive result confirmed July 17 — after he had already played at Wimbledon. A mandatory provisional suspension took effect August 4 and has not been appealed.
Kyrgios said the toll of two years of injuries had been difficult to accept as he neared the end of his career. "At times I've felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did," he wrote, adding that the injuries "have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally."
He said he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days to "focus on getting myself right," while signaling the setback was not the end of his career.
Kyrgios's last title came in Washington, D.C., in August 2022, followed by a U.S. Open quarterfinal run. A knee injury in Tokyo that October led to a two-year layoff, and he went 1-4 in 2025 before skipping three Grand Slams.
This article was produced with the assistance of artificial intelligence (AI), in accordance with our editorial policy.





