McIlroy Questions Value Rahm, DeChambeau Would Bring Back to PGA Tour
Rory McIlroy pushed back on the idea that LIV stars deserve a warm welcome, asking instead what value they've brought to the Saudi-backed league.

Rory McIlroy questioned the value that LIV Golf stars Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau would bring back to the PGA Tour, turning the question around on reporters at the BMW Championship on Wednesday.
"I mean, I'd argue have they brought value to LIV?" McIlroy said.
The comments came as LIV Golf's future faces scrutiny, with this week's event near Indianapolis being the league's last after Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund ended its funding. LIV CEO Scott O'Neil was scheduled to give an update on the league's future, which involves an agreement with a lead investor and plans to reshape its operations.
Scottie Scheffler said he is not opposed to LIV players returning to the PGA Tour, but only with some form of penalty. "When we talk about the best players, LIV has a few players that are really good," Scheffler said. "I think the depth that we have on our tour is unmatched, but I think when you look at the higher levels of LIV Golf there's definitely some players that would provide a lot of value to the tour, and guys that I love competing against as well."
Scheffler added that any penalties would be decided by PGA Tour CEO Brian Rolapp.
Brooks Koepka became the first LIV player to return to the tour this year, barred from $20 million signature events unless he earns his way back, required to pay $5 million to charity and denied access to tour equity — a penalty the tour valued at $50 million and upward. The tour later offered the same deal, with a two-week deadline, to Rahm, DeChambeau and Cameron Smith, all major champions who joined LIV after its 2022 launch.
McIlroy, long the most vocal PGA Tour critic of LIV, has softened his rhetoric over the years, saying in February 2025 that players "have to get over it" when it comes to reintegrating defectors. But he sounded more reluctant Wednesday, noting that top players had their chance to return earlier in the year and that any future offer likely would not match what Koepka received.
This article was produced with the assistance of artificial intelligence (AI), in accordance with our editorial policy.





